1. Call the police
The police may want to investigate the break-in and take fingerprints, so check with them before tidying up to avoid disturbing evidence. The police will also give you a file number to use in your claim.
2. Take note
Note down what's been stolen or damaged and check to see whether your house keys have been taken. Check your spare car keys too, in case the thieves targeted your car as well.
It is also a good idea to talk to your neighbours, as they may have seen something that could help the police.
3. Start your claim
You can report your claim online and one of our customer managers will get in touch within five working days. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 500 216 if your situation is urgent - it will take about 15 minutes to lodge your claim. If necessary, we can also help make arrangements to ensure your home is secure again.
When making your claim, you'll need the following information, so it pays to have your recent policy document on hand:
- Policy number for the policy you are claiming on
- Name of the main policy contact
- Date of birth of the main policy contact
- Postcode (of your postal address)
- Email address
- Details of what happened and when
- Details of any other people involved (including any witnesses or emergency services)
- You may need to provide proof of ownership such as receipts, instruction manuals or photos.
4. We'll get you sorted
A customer manager will keep you fully informed about your claim's progress. They'll ensure that any stolen property covered by your policy is replaced as quickly as possible, so that you can get back to normal.