If you are experiencing vulnerability as a result of the storms and flooding, need urgent repairs to make your home safe, or emergency accommodation, call us on 0800 500 216. We are prioritising these types of claims to help those most in need first. If you do not require emergency repairs or accommodation, please lodge your claim online.
You can find some tips for cleaning up after a storm or flood below:
- If you have had to leave your home, take care when returning to your property and do not attempt to inspect or repair any damage until it is safe to do so. Remember, some damage might require professional help – contact your insurer to check what is safe to clean yourself.
- Check carefully underfoot before you walk around your house as after a flood the floor might be slippery and covered with dangerous debris.
- Wear protective clothing (gloves, mask and long trousers) when going back into your home to help protect against potentially hazardous materials.
- Discard any food that has been submerged in a flood (even canned goods) and throw away wooden or plastic cooking utensils, baby bottle teats and dummies if they have come into contact with floodwater as these cannot be safely cleaned. AA Insurance customers can also claim up to $1,000 for spoiled food (review our policy documents for more information here).
- Mould, cleaning chemicals and sewage from stormwater can be dangerous for anyone with asthma, allergies or compromised immune systems so keep anyone with these conditions away from the house if possible.
- If you have contents and debris on or around your property, remove these items as soon as possible, and while it is safe to do so. You can visit your local council website for more information on how to dispose of batteries and other hazardous waste (such as flammable, toxic, corrosive, explosive or radioactive items), as well as information on how to get help removing flood-damaged items from your home, if needed.
- If your power is working, start drying out your home and reducing mould by turning on any air-conditioners, dehumidifiers, ventilation system, or fans.
- If you're able to, have essential repairs completed and hold onto invoices – this will help get your insurance sorted.
- If you'd like to start pulling up and disposing of damaged carpet and underlay, please take photos prior to doing so. It can also be helpful when it comes time to replace your carpet if you have kept a small section of carpet.
More information, tips and how we can help can be found here.